I am posting a universal favourite today!The title needs no description and many of you would have started salivating!If you are like me – a potato lover who loves everything from boiled and mashed potatoes to elegant snacks,Indian papads(even my egg timer is in the shape of a spud),they would love this snack!
In the USA they are one of the most popular snacks and are served as generous helpings with Burgers and Pizzas.In the UK they are served with fried fish and are called Fish and Chips.In Canada they are served with a gravy and cheese curds amalgamating into a delicious snack called Poutine.I will be posting a recipe of Poutine very soon.In India after McDonald’s penetrated the fast foods market,fries were an instant rage with the masses and everyone loved them from the kids to the elderly.They are served with Piri Piri or Italian Seasoning.Some even prefer sprinkling some red chilli powder for that added kick.
However I am showing the basic recipe which includes only salt.You can take it from here and add seasonings as per your taste and preferences.However there are some points to be noted before we proceed:
- Choose fresh and firm medium to long potatoes if you want long chips.Everyone prefers their chips/fries a little long.However its your preference.
- Its very important to soak the potatoes after slicing.Skipping this step will not make the fries crispy.
- Invest in a French Fries cutter if you want “that perfect shape” in your fries A good and economical one is available at this link:
Fries cut by the slicer mentioned above
- Use more than 1 inch of oil in your pan for frying the chips.Do not compromise on the Oil or the chips would not be fried properly.
- After preparing the potatoes PLEASE DRY THEM WELL.If there is moisture on the potatoes then they would splutter and throw up hot oil once they are dropped in the pan which may increase the probability of a bad accident.Do not hurry your way through the process!
- WARNING – Do not make the fries with toddlers or small children near you.
- Keep a timer or your wrist watch near you and record the exact time taken to fry the chips.This practice makes perfect fries every time.
- Make the fries on a day on which you are absolutely free.Please do not use the “make fast” procedure here!
So here is the recipe for all the C”ouch” Potatoes..:)
Preparation Time : 1 hour
Makes : Approximately 250 gms of fries
250 gms firm and long potatoes(Approx 3-4)
1 1/2 – 2 tsp Salt
2 cups Oil for frying
1 liter water to soak the potatoes
Peel the potatoes and slice them into fries.Either use a slicer(see points above) or slice them manually.
Keep the slices immersed in the water for 30 minutes.You will see the water turn cloudy and whitish meaning that the starch is extracted out of the potatoes.This process will ensure that the fries are crispy when you fry them.
After 30 minutes of soaking,draw the potatoes in a colander.Then take a clean and dry towel or kitchen paper(I find cloth the most effective for this) and spread the potatoes on it to dry.Cover them with another towel or paper and roll them to extract all moisture.Ensure that all the slices are dry.They will be a bit moist but that is fine as long as they do not drip.
After soaking and drying the chips..
Heat the Oil in a wide pan on medium heat.Check the heat by dropping a small piece of potato.If it sizzles and comes to the surface the Oil is ready.Lower the potatoes gently into the Oil.Do not drop them as this may cause the Oil to splatter.By the watch fry them for 8 minutes(maximum 9 and not more than that) and perform the Toothpick Test(shown below)
The Toothpick test – A toothpick goes inside easily when inserted in the middle of a slice
After the first frying of the chips
If you are using a bigger quantity of potatoes then fry them in batches.This will ease the process of frying.Take the potato chips out on some absorbent paper and leave to come to room temperature(approx 5 minutes).
Now the chips are soft from inside.After they cool,we will fry them again on high heat to make them crisp from outside!
Do NOT take the Oil off heat.Leave it on the lowest heat till the potatoes cool down.After 5 minutes increase heat to the maximum.After about a minute gently lower the potato fries again into the now hot Oil.They will start frying immediately and become golden brown and crisp in 2-3 minutes.Drain them again on absorbent paper and empty them on a large tray.Do not pile them on top of one another as they would lose their crispness.
After the second frying…
Fry the potato fries in batches till golden brown and leave on the tray to come to room temperature.
Season with salt and seasoning of your choice!Enjoy!
Served with hot tea for a great evening…